OK so I am working through my pile of almost finished garments. These only needed for the ends to be darned in so I made a start on them first.
I had only ever made one pair of sock before making these. They were 100% pure wool, I didn’t use elastic so they lost their shape and they kept on falling down. Luckily they were only ankle socks, but it still pissed me off. They were DK also and I made them with left over yarn from a dress that I made that the moths ate for lunch. This is how I learnt that there is nothing warmer on your feet that pure wool socks so I wore them to death!
These are made from a pattern that I borrowed. I don’t like the finishing at the toe, it looks awful because I didn’t know the technique that the pattern said to use and it didn’t give any instructions past naming it (I have now corrected that problem); although it doesn’t look so bad when you have them on.
They are made using DK yarn (from my stash) and the original pattern is for stripes but I also made them with just one colour.
I think I’ll try some of my other sock patterns next time. I have some in my collection of Vogue Knitting Magazine editions and I downloaded some free ones off the Internet.
Over the last view years I began hearing the term ‘sock yarn’. So I began an investigation to find out exactly what this new yarn had to offer and I discovered that it didn’t have that much. The only difference in this yarn in the weight, which is light. This I suppose is an asset if you want to get your shoes on but I thought that it was elasticated, so don’t really see the point of it.
When I made these socks I only had one roll of elastic, so I only used it on the ribbing. After wearing them which I haven’t done yet I will know if this is sufficient or if it would be better to use it throughout. I’ll hold off making some new ones until I have done this.